Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spoonful of sugar.

After finishing off a jar of pickles or salsa or mayo, I'll sometimes wash it out and take off the label and save it under the sink. Whenever I feel like getting crafty, I've got a nice little collection of jars under there waiting to be made pretty. Painting glass jars is fun. I love practical art pieces. And I love finding a new use for something that would have otherwise ended up in the trash.

So a couple of weeks ago I finished off a jar of plum sauce. I had been itching to add the empty jar to my stash under the sink even before the sauce inside was gone. It's tall and thin and looks just perfect to use as a flower vase.

Last night I finally decided to paint it. Here's what I ended up with!



















I'd know that silhouette anywhere. Mary Poppins! :)

I love Mary Poppins, in case you didn't know. Ever since I was a kid. I've been thinking about the Disney film a lot lately... Julie Andrews has an autobiography out and I've caught a couple of different interviews with her on tv.

So yes. I decided to paint Mary Poppins. I went online and found an image of her silhouette to use as a guide. Went with purple because that's just the colour I think of when I think of her. Tied some blue and black yarn around the rim. Done.

Overall, I'm pleased with the way it came out. I think it'll end up going on the bookshelf in the bedroom. Seems like a good fit there. Some white flowers would look nice! Maybe an assorted bunch of wild flowers too...

Yes, Bruce. That's a hint! Hee hee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I love this!!!

I'm saving some fancy bottles and jars for you. It'll be interesting to see what you do with them.

Smelanie said...

Yeah, better than a finger in the eye, eh! Hehehe.

Mama S said...

Mel, would you believe that YOU STOLE MY LINE?????? hehehehehe

Looks great. :)