Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Free food for supper.

No, I didn't have to steal to get it. I didn't have to do any "dumpster diving", either. It was a gift. A kind, generous offering from one Jolly Green Giant, straight from the bottom of his giant, green heart.So here's the scoop. Inside every 1 kg bag of Green Giant's "young and tender" mixed vegetables, there is a coupon. But here's the catch. It doesn't say anywhere on the bag that there's a coupon in there. I discovered this a month or two ago as I was dumping some veggies into a pot on the stove. Huh? I immediately fished it out and investigated. It was for one free Green Giant "Simply Steam". Simply Steam? I had never heard of such a thing.

Well I was intrigued. I actually set the coupon aside and somehow remembered that I had it the following Saturday when we went grocery shopping. Come to find out, "Simply Steam" is a pouch of "lightly seasoned garden vegetable medley" that you stick in the microwave and steam. The picture on the box looks good. Sells for $1.99. But I had a coupon! I picked it up.

This stuff is quite friggin good. Since then, we've gone through two more bags of the frozen vegetables, so I've had two more of these deliciously free sides.

I had one of them tonight.















To accompany a whole wheat pita with chopped chicken boob, celery, onion and shredded cheese. Yum!

These "Simply Steam" pouches include sugar snap peas, roasted potatoes, red peppers, and 'garden herbs'. Which, as it turns out, seems to be a crap load of salt among a few other choice ingredients I'm not sure how to pronounce. Hm. Certainly not ideal as far as vegetables go I suppose, but what can I say? It's friggin free.

But you know, I'm sure that someday there will be no more coupons. Even the Jolly Green Giant can only give so much. And when that day comes, I think I might just pick one of these things up now and again anyway. Yup. They're pretty good.

I really don't think I would have tried such a thing had it not been for those coupons. Thank you, Jolly Green Giant. Wow. What a guy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A "BEST" through and through!!!!!!!!