Saturday, March 22, 2008

One great craft project leads to another.

This morning I finished reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

I had seen it among the second hand books at Frenchy's a couple of months ago. I hadn't ever read it before, but was familiar with some of Plath's poetry, and her life story... both of which I found interesting. It was $1.50. I had to buy it. And I'm really glad I did. I quite enjoyed it.

I love buying books second hand. It's what I do. Buying books new is some risky business... especially when it comes to fiction. I never really know what to buy and who the heck knows whether I'll like it or not. At 10 or 20 or more bucks a pop, I don't feel good about the risk. I am cheap. This is nothing new.

And quite frankly, screw the library. I love books. I want to own the ones I've read, display them proudly on the shelf. Kind of like keepsakes from the journeys they took me on, you know?

So, yes. Second hand books are awesome. Buying used books is a great way to stumble across something you'd either be unable to afford, or wouldn't have thought to give a chance otherwise. They're cheap, so why not? Plus there's the reusing-someone-else's-old-stuff thing which is always an added bonus.


And now to change the subject entirely. Just for the hell of it. Let's address the subject of this post: One great craft project leads to another.

Now most craft projects will inevitably leave behind some left over supplies. And I never throw them out. You just never know when they might come in handy.

So the faithful reader may remember my fish tank re-decoration, for which I bought some shells and rocks and glass stones at the Dollar Store. I had bought a glass container with a metal lid at the Dollarama that night too, with plans of using it to store popcorn kernels.

That never happened. Instead, this did!


















Ha!

I put some of the left over rocks and shells in the bottom, and sat the little ceramic turtle that I had in my fish tank before the makeover on top. I filled the rest with water and stuck the lid on. He's been sitting on top of my desk for the past few weeks.

And so, the moral of this story is: don't ever throw away those left over craft supplies. You may just come up with something fun that makes you grin. And also, Frenchy's is a great place to buy books. $1.50 is a steal!! :)

No comments: