Monday, March 3, 2008

Damn I'm good.

Six days a week here in town there is a huge garage sale; its wares are supplied by donation, and its proceeds go to the charity organization that runs it. And it's a pretty great organization. It's devoted to helping parents of at-risk families learn to provide for their children. They run an adult literacy program. A housing program. They set up scholarship funds. And so on. All benefiting people here in town.

So, I LOVE their garage sale. Since it's entirely donation/volunteer based, the prices are phenomenal. I like that instead of these perfectly good things going to the landfill, I'm able to use them. I like that my money is going to local charity instead of some huge corporation. And I like the uniqueness of most of the treasures there: it's old stuff, with history. You can't find these things in stores. It's gold.

"Shopping" there is actually a really good feeling!

Well, anyway, Bruce and I went Saturday to take a look around. You never know what you'll find.

I found this!


... and a little gold picture frame that I'm sure will appear in this blog at some point or another. Both for two dollars and twenty five cents.

I've been kind of keeping my eyes open for a kettle there for a while. I'd just been heating water up for tea in a little pot. Which worked fine; I didn't feel the *need* to run out and buy a new one or anything. I figured I wouldn't be able to find one I liked anyway.

There were actually two kettles there but I decided on this one. I just liked the way it looked. I got it home and gave some water a good boil to make sure it was clean. And realized... it matches my wallpaper! Like... perfectly!

The blue and red and green stripes... right down to the creamy in-betweenies.

Damn I'm good.

Heehee.

No comments: