Tuesday, March 4, 2008

In the immortal words of Dr. Sam Beckett....

"Oh boy".


So along with the canvases, Bruce also got me a gift certificate from Michaels craft store for Valentine's Day. Last night I decided it was time to go spend some of it. I got a ball of yarn, a crochet hook, and a set of double-pointed knitting needles. And I still have $12 left on the card, so that's pretty exciting.

I have NO idea how to crochet. I don't even have the first clue. Teaching myself will come later, though... First on the menu is learning to knit with the double-pointed needles.

And oh boy.

I had about as much of a clue how to use those needles as I do how to crochet. I looked up some websites for patterns and such. Found one for a pair of mittens as practice. Then I scoured the web for info on how to knit with four needles! I am truly clueless.

I love teaching myself how to do things like this. It feels like a big accomplishment, and I'm even prouder of the resulting project. Sometimes, though, I can't help but think it would be so much easier to just get someone to show me how to do it!

Good lord.

Here's what I have so far...


It looks kind of cuff-like I guess, but truthfully, I hardly know what the heck I'm doing with this. I realized this morning that instead of knitting 2 stitches, purling 2 stitches, I misread the pattern and have been knitting 2 rows, purling 2 rows! HA! So this will end up getting unraveled today and I'll start over right. Rome wasn't built in a day, I suppose....

So this will be my project for the next little while: learning to knit mittens. I'm REALLY nervous about the thumb. AHHHHH!

Wish me luck!

No comments: