Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Ode to my favorite mug.

Yes. I have a favorite mug. Doesn't everyone?? If you don't, you should really think about getting yourself one. Everything tastes better in a favorite mug. It's a wonderfully odd little thing.

Here's mine!

Found in my parents' attic this past summer. Oh, the drinks that could have tasted so much better over the years whilst this beautiful gem laid dusty and dormant. It almost brings a tear to my eye.

So this post is an ode to my favorite mug.

It's actually not as old as I had thought. It looks to me as though it walked into my parents' attic directly from the 1970s. Not quite so. After a little research, I've found that the first Save-Easy opened in 1959 in Sackville NB. Presumably, then, this mug dates to 1984.

So the mug itself is just about 25 years old now. I actually don't use it as often as I'd like. I'm afraid I'll break it! That would break my heart.

I love it.

And since we're on the subject of mugs, allow me to introduce you to my second favorite mug. Not really deserving of an "ode" but I definitely have to give it a shout-out. :)


Also from my parents' attic. I'm not sure how old this one is, but some quick research tells me it's definitely from a vintage set: Johnson Bros "Hearts & Flowers". The bottom stamp says "dish washer" safe, though, so it's probably about as old as the Save-Easy mug. I'd love to get my mitts on more pieces from the set. Particularly the teapot.

Which is actually available online for 139 bucks. That's a good little bit of money for a teapot. Maybe someday...

If I ever find out about a Save-Easy 25th Anniversary teapot, now boys no price would be too high. Somehow though, I highly doubt such a beast exists. :P

No comments: