Thursday, November 6, 2008

What the hell?

Two posts in two days? What the hell? Maybe there's hope for this blog yet. Take off your coat. Stay a spell!

I haven't been blogging lately... but definitely still crafting! I've got myself a nice little back-log of doings to write about, actually. For now, though, let's talk about my latest undertaking:

KNITTING SOCKS.

So back in March I attempted mittens, using a couple of online guides and a free pattern. I did learn the basics of using the double point needles, but the "mitten" (which I actually finished) ended up looking like a vaguely mitten-shaped pile of shit. It was too small and there were holes in it and... yeah. It was pretty bad.

The experience kept me away from the double point needles up until a few weeks ago. I'd knitted a couple of scarves in the interim, and was feeling more confident in my knitting skills. So I figured I'd give the needles a try again. Socks. No stupid thumb to mess with.

I actually made out ok! The socks certainly aren't perfect, but they're no pile of crap either. It was my first try and I'm pleased! They're super warm and I've been wearing them pretty much constantly.

Crazy, huh? They actually LOOK like socks! And since practice makes perfect, I've gone ahead and started a second pair, this time with ribbing on the top of the foot. Working on sock #2 at the moment...

It's so much fun! Knitting = win. Maybe I'm not a lost cause after all.... I might just have to give mittens another go sometime soon. I'm on a roll, baby!!

1 comment:

Mama S said...

Well, when you finally get the knitting down, you'll have to give me some pointers. I can't get past knitting and purling...so if it's more than a scarf, I'm screwed. Of course, I do have this dream of being able to knit like a feind....

Nice socks, by the way.