Monday, May 5, 2008

I love books.

How does one go about switching one's brain
from science for kids to one's blog?
It's a tough one you see, it's quite hard to explain
the way one is left in a fog.

Making it simple! one spends one's whole day
for children to read in Grade One.
And now for a blog and one's lost for a way
to write as if reader's aren't stunned!


Yes. That pretty well sums up what's been going on with me lately. I've been working on an article intended for readers in Grade One.... the youngest I've tried writing for yet. And when you spend all day trying to think up the simplest ways of explaining things, how then do you switch your brain back to something like a blog? Without still writing for 6-year-olds? Without unwittingly insulting the faithful reader's intelligence!?

Hm. I'm sure I'll figure it out. In the meantime, what else could be easier to write about than something you love? Which brings us to the title of this post.

I love books.

I really do. And not just the stories told inside of books. But the books themselves too. I love the book jacket. The pages and the way they feel and the way they sound when you turn them. I love old books. I love the way they smell. The way the spine creases and cracks.

Yup. I just love books. Sadly, it can be hard to make the time to sit down with one. I always try to be picking away at something, though.

Here's what I'm reading right now.



















"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". Look at that, ain't it great? This book has been read over countless times. The cover is creased and tattered. The spine is flimsy and broken. Numerous pages have been folded down at one time or another to mark the reader's spot.

It's the first time I've read it, though. Where did I get it? Well that's the best part. Bruce brought it home for me from work. He found it in a scrap car! Luckily for me, he realizes that if there's something I love more than a good book, it's a good book once bound for the scrap heap! Ha ha!! This is actually the second book I've thoroughly enjoyed that came from there.

And it's a great book. No wonder they made it into a movie.

"A great crowd of people were standing all round the Stone Table and though the moon was shining many of them carried torches which burned with evil-looking red flames and black smoke. But such people! Ogres with monstrous teeth, and wolves, and bull-headed men; spirits of evil trees and poisonous plants; and other creatures I won't describe because if I did the grown-ups would probably not let you read this book - Cruels and Hags and Incubuses, Wraiths, Horrors, Efreets, Sprites, Orknies, Wooses, and Ettins."

It's great stuff! I would have never read this book had Bruce not brought it home last week. I'm really glad he did.

So there you go. I love books. And imagine how proud and excited I was last week when I found out my very own mother has had a novel accepted for publication! A book with my mother's name on the jacket! With her own story printed on the pages! Wow. Congrats again, Mom!

You know I love a good book out of a scrap car but I'll proudly march into Chapters to pick that one up!!! :)

2 comments:

Mama S said...

I love the picture of the book with the cat on the green corduroy chair in the background.

Priceless!

Anonymous said...

Good eye mama,
If you need a drive to chapters let me know Ill be picking up a copy or two myself .What do you think the chances of getting a signed copy would be eh???