Thursday, July 30, 2009

To braid a rug.

I've always wanted to try making a braided rug. So this week, that's exactly what I did. Here it is!

I used 2 pillowcases I picked up at a thrift store for 50 cents a piece, an old pair of brown corduroys, and some fabric from my stash. The entire process was definitely a big learning experience for me... it takes quite a bit of fabric to make one of these puppies! Sewing the braids together is kinda tedious. And it works best if the strips of fabric are at least 2 inches wide... you'll notice my inner braids are foolishly tiny; the outer braids are nice and fat and definitely the way to go next time.


Being a practice run 'n all, I didn't make it very big. For now, it's found a place in my living room, beneath a white wicker stand.


All in all, I'm pretty pleased with this little learning experience of mine, and plan on gathering some rags together and making something larger sometime soon! Yeah!

2 comments:

laura said...

Very nice...And one a bit larger might make a very nice gift for someone.. Don't you think?

Smelanie said...

Is that a hint?? LOL