Monday, July 13, 2009

Penny rug for your thoughts.

Well, wow. Been a while, eh?

Let's see if I can't get back into this thing. We'll start out nice and easy: my latest craft project.

Penny rugs.

What's a penny rug? A penny rug is a decorative mat made from stacked felt circles sewn together with a blanket stitch. They were most popular in the Victorian era as thrifty homemakers would save scraps of wool and create something new. Coins were used as templates, which is where the penny rug gets its name. They were used to adorn tables, stands, and mantles - they never touched the floor.

I learned about penny rugs from a crafty lady while visiting my parents last week. I think they're the bee's knees and immediately set my mind on making one. Here's the result!

And here it is in action on the coffee table!

I had so much fun I decided to make another one this weekend. Haven't decided where it'll end up yet, though!

This is such a great craft project. It's easy, cheap, and fun. What else can a Smelanie ask for?

And there you have it. My latest craftings. I've got lots more stuff from the past few months to share... now to get my butt in gear and actually post them. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

laura said...

I like that you mixed them up a bit on the second one. Very nice!!